Being myself somewhere in that band, you could imagine my reaction.
2 words: Shock. Horror.
Which then naturally led to denial…followed by a new puzzling “behaviour” I can only qualify as some kind of ….mid-life crisis (hysterical sob).
See for yourself!
1. I started watching MTV. Something I haven’t done since 1996. To only realise 2 things: 1) there is no longer “MTV” but dozens of them (MTV BASE, MTV RnB, MTV Rock, MTV Summer Hits, MTV 90s…..) and 2) I barely know any artists (or singers-strippers-shakers-shouters) that seem to be making most of the top 40 these days. But the worst is still to actually watch “MTV Island” – dancing in a bikini with a bunch of strangers 24/7
faking having the time of my life is my thirty-something definition of hell. But the 13yo that suddenly resurfaced in me seem to be as attracted to it as in 1994.
2. I actually bought something at Urban Outfitters. Maybe I should mention the thing in question is short jeans cut off shorts (the key word is indeed short). In a flash of realism/decency, I haven’t actually worn them publicly. Yet.
3. I started listening to Always (Bon Jovi – who else!) on repeat. I know once a cheesy music lover, always a cheesy music lover. Anyway. It brought back memories, no, feelings of a completely different area. Not only that but I also have actually googled the video (you know the one that still has me puzzled on what the actual story is).
4. I dug out of my wardrobe my long forgotten pre-pregnancy extra short skirts. Same theme as point 2 I guess. Somehow they don’t exactly fit but it felt good to have them around. I mean owning half dozen of jeans skirts in diverse washes but only one length – extra short- can only mean one thing: a teenager. Or a trashy stripper (pleonasm if any!).
5. I said out loud that Miley Cirrus was stylish. Thankfully only to Hubby. Then calculated she could actually be my daughter. If I had really been a
slutty precocious teenager. Or more relevant to my upbringing, a child bride. And just to clarify, I was none of the above.
6. I am watching re-runs of One Tree Hill. Although to be true to my age I should be watching Beverly Hills 92190. The orginal version. Brendon & Brenda. Ah…the good old 90s.
7. I am wearing neon nail polish. Green neon. I would call it trendy – which it IS- if I didn’t know deep inside that what I am really emulating is that beloved experimentation with neon Stabilo markers as nail art somewhere early 1990s. See, in Meknes Morocco, there was no room for neon nail polish. But as they say, when there is a will, there is a way. Thank you Stabilo.
So what do you think? Guilty as charged? Do you have a similar “crisis”?
Please do share!